On Fri, 10 May 2013 02:31:33 -0500
Tamblyne <tambl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/2/2013 4:01 PM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 16:49:13 -0400 Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> *I see several extensions in the repository that offer EPub digital
> >> book conversion from OpenOffice:
> >>
> >> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/epubGenerator*
> >> * http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/Writer2ePub*
> >> * http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/odftoepub*
> >>
> >> Does anyone have experience with these, and a recommendation?  Or
> >> is there some other tool that you would suggest for publishing to
> >> EPub?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for any insights.
> >
> > I've done very little by way  of conversion to electronic formats; I
> > found Calibre very satisfactory.  It converts to many (all?) eformats
> > directly from OpenOffice .odt files (from other formats also), and
> > manages one's library on the ereader.  Certainly worth
> > investigation.
>
> I finally had a chance to try this, and while I love the other aspects
> of Calibre, the conversion to epub wasn't great as regards it's handling
> of the styles.  So -- to convert do you need a document without any
> formatting?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tam

I can't answer that in any detail; later this year I will have occasion to
convert a book text to some form of epub and will have to read  up the
intricacies of Calibre's .odt conversion.  I am aware that it can be fine tuned
to pick up and convert many of the formattings in the .odt, but haven't looked
into that in depth yet. Any form of format conversion usually entails decision
making about the compromises involved; a text formatted for (say) a US Letter
page may not adjust immediately to the reduced and dynamic page/textflow of an
ereader.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>