I also use KDE, however, most of the integration has to do with the distro.
Since distros dont ship AOO, the options are very integrated with LO.

Dolphin/Konqueror default the *.odt to LO.

AOO also integrates with Thunderbird but doesn't really show an option for
Kmail. Or their latest Kolab, OwnCloud system.

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor