Hi Fernando  Cassia,
        Maybe it was the luck of a first bet on a horse race! I have a CD that
connects me to a database in Bolivia that had a label both thick and poorly
attached. I had read much earlier of the removal of the labels so I peeled it
off and used olive oil to remove the little remaining stickiness. CD worked
fine for the year it was needed. I just now found this:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5479874_remove-labels-dvds.htm  which supports that
approach, although not totally the same. Thanks for your response.
Sam