On 01/10/14 04:13, e-letter wrote:
> On 10/01/2014, users-digest-h...@openoffice.apache.org
> <users-digest-h...@openoffice.apache.org> wrote:

>>> Jcishome;
>>>
>>> Most employers in the United States want resumes in either Microsoft
>>> Word or PDF format. If you are sending an Open Document Test (.odt)
>>> file from OpenOffice Writer this is probably the problem. OpenOffice
>>> can save in Word's .doc format or even better It can email your resume
>>> as a .doc file but still save it in the default .odt format.
>>>

> Whenever possible, you should take the opportunity to use the native
> odt and not continue the proliferation of m$ formats.
>
> In this simple case of a CV, the document can be sent in PDF using the
> existing function of OO to create PDF files. If a editable version is
> requested, the recipient will be able to see an odt file if and
> odf-compliant software is used, such as the latest versions of
> m$office; there is a comparison of differences between formats. See:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/users@global.libreoffice.org/msg35626.html

When dealing with organizations which I know or suspect use word, I make
it a habit of prefixing the mail with something like:

The attached doc is in open document format (odt), a world standard for
word-processing documents.  If you have trouble opening it, please let me
know.  Newer versions of microsoft word automatically deal with it, but
older versions can be updated to allow reading current versions of their
own (microsoft) documents as well as world standard documents.

But as you point out, a pdf gets around that.  If it has to be editable,
there is a free add-on for older ms-word which allows reading odt, so
even people using old versions of word should be able to read an odt.
It's the same add-on that allows reading .docx stuff, I believe.  Thank
you, all the countries in Europe which forced that issue.

Gary