On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 17:09:17 -0000, Jeffrey Deutsch
<jdeutsch.aspl...@gmail.com> wrote:

My question is: What are your (collective) thoughts on this specific
direction? For example, is it technically necessary, or not? Does Tutor.com
strictly enforce it? Do you know of similar sites which don't insist on it?

it depends on what for they want you to have ms office.

Jeffrey Deutsch wrote:

Hello,

I'm thinking of applying for an online tutoring position at Tutor.com.
However, they require that tutors (and applicants, for the mock tutoring
session) have Microsoft Word (2007 or later) itself -- they specifically
say that OpenOffice is not acceptable. I'd rather not spend $110 just to
get MS Word (or $140 for MS Office, or $10/month or $100/year to rent MS
Office) for this specific job, when OpenOffice/LibreOffice has worked just
fine for me for the past decade.