On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Jeffrey Deutsch
<jdeutsch.aspl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jack,
>
> Excellent point about following directions in general -- that deserves its
> own discussion, probably on a career forum.
>
> My question is: What are your (collective) thoughts on this specific
> direction? For example, is it technically necessary, or not? Does Tutor.com
> strictly enforce it? Do you know of similar sites which don't insist on it?
> Etc.

I have no knowledge about Tutor.com specifically, but it would be
interesting to find out the nature of their dependency on MS Office.

1) Is it merely a matter of comfort and familiarity?

2)  Do they have a technical dependency on the Microsoft file formats?
 (In that case you could remind them that OpenOffice can read and
write the MS binary formats: doc, xls and ppt)

3) Do they have a technical dependency on the Microsoft Office
application itself, say via macros or extensions?

Regards,

-Rob