On 16/08/2014 Jim McLaughlin wrote:
I suspect you purchased the disk from a  third party reseller, and if so,
you are taking several risks.
I urge you to DOWNLOAD the Open Office 4.0.1 or 4.1.0 or whatever it is
this week directly from either:
  www.openoffice.[com?]

Official downloads are only from http://openoffice.org (note the .org). The linked file will be on sourceforge.net.

Mr Berwyn H Price: indeed the latest version won't work on Windows 98; support for Windows 98 was discontinued several years ago (and maybe you are using a CD with the official version that came with a magazine, it was more common at the time). However, we are now in 2014 and you can download all legacy versions from http://www.openoffice.org/download/archive.html

Regards,
  Andrea.