On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 10:06 PM, Mr Berwyn H Price <berwynhpr...@live.co.uk
> wrote:

> Hi
> I want to install Open Office version 1 on a Windows 98 SE installed
> computer.
> But I need clear step by step instructions because the ones that are
> included on the disc are not very clear.
> Please can you help by providing me with such instructions.

As others have noted, the source for the software is important and there
are risks to the stability and reliability of the computer if the software
is not from the official source.

Provided you've downloaded from the reliable sources already identified the
installation begins by double-clicking the downloaded file. It is a .zip
file so the double-click will open a folder that contains... another
folder!!!

This 2nd folder will be named OOo_<version info>. Hoping you understand
"<version info>" won't be part of the folder name, it's meant to represent
whatever numbers and words you'll see after "OOo_" based on the version you
happened to download.

There should be an "Extract" option on the menu of the window that's
opened. Choose "Extract all". This will uncompress the files in the zip
file and extract them to your hard drive.

Now find the folder on your hard drive named "OOo_<version info>". Inside
that folder there will be files named "setup.exe", "readme.txt" and
"SETUP_GUIDE.PDF". Depending on how your system is configured you may only
see setup, "SETUP_GUIDE" and "readme" with the second part of the file name
hidden.

If the 2nd part of the file name is hidden you will see "readme" and
"setup" listed twice. If your list of files is shown with columns for name,
size and type you will see one "readme" is type "text" and one is type
"HTML". Open and read either "readme". Both have the same information. Also
open and read "SETUP_GUIDE".

Once you've read the "readme" and "SETUP_GUIDE" run the "setup.exe" by
double-clicking the file name. Again if you don't see the last part of the
file name and your list of files has the name, size and type as column
headings double-click the "setup" that is type "application".

And now your installation is off and running.