On 02/01/2015 11:28 AM, Doug wrote:
On 02/01/2015 09:05 AM, martin wrote:
I am just setting up a computer running windows 7 64 bit. I was hoping
to not have to load my old version of MS office at all, but I can't seem
to save to a .docx file in Open Office as it is not in the drop down
list.  Do I have to save an old .doc in another format and then convert
to .docx or what?

Regards
Martin Watt

I'm pretty sure that anything that can read docx can read doc 1997, which is pretty much a standard. No reason to convert to docx. Alternatively, you could use the products from Softmaker Office, either the free or the paid, and that will read and write docx with no problem.
(I have no pecuniary interest in Softmaker.)

Thanks for saying that Doug! Wish I had noticed your post before I replied. I am usually ok if I send a DOC file, but, sometimes I am contractually obligated to a DOCX file; sadly.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php