On Fri, 26 Jun 2015, John Hart wrote:

On 6/26/2015 1:12 PM, Dale Erwin wrote:
On 6/26/2015 11:37 AM, Doug wrote:
  However, if there were
to be a means of exiting the strait-jacket for a short space--a line or the end of a paragraph, say, or until one deliberately returns to the style, then it might become a more user-friendly environment.

A reasonable suggestion

not reasonable at all from my point of view.

I have to edit a collection of essays once a yr. styles are invaluable.

if hitting a line return changed styles, the work would be very difficult.

suppose I have a long quotation with indents and containing several paragraphs. I want the line returns to preserve formatting.

if I want to drop out of a style I either change the style (some of them I have tied to key combinations) or hit 'clear formatting.'

You've already told us that you do not intend to learn styles. There is no need to give us more proof that you don't know how to use them.

Followed by an /ad hominem response

well, wrong tone, we should be civil, but ...; well, anyway, what I'd like to know since I never did more elaborate than write papers in WordPerfect (not requiring much formatting) is how does one format across large documents?

suppose I decide that all paragraphs with a certain indentation should also be in italics; I can simply change the style for indented paragraphs of that sort and the change should replicate through the document.

what is the facility in WP for that? I think it uses some kind of template? law offices used to use it and they have elaborate requirements.

forgive me for not looking but WP people would know right away.

f.

--
Felmon Davis

When it comes to helping you, some people stop at nothing.