Thank you for your report.

Although we have heard some users have this problem, we have not been able to
reproduce it.  Many of us upgraded to Windows 10 without difficulty.

Please help us by providing more details.  Please reply only to
mailto:users@openoffice.apache.org and not to me.  If you reply to me, I will
assume that I have permission to post your reply to that list.

Initial questions:

1. SYSTEM CONFIGURATION
Right click on the Windows button (leftmost symbol on the task bar), and then
select "System".  Please report the following information:

  Windows edition
    The name of the edition (first line under "Windows edition"):

  System
    Processor:
    Installed memory (RAM):
    System type:
    Pen and Touch:

2. OPEN OFFICE CONFIGURATION
   Now left click on the Windows button
   On the left sidebar that shows all programs, scroll down to the letter O
where you see a folder named OpenOffice.
   What is the full name of that folder (including any version number)?:

   Click on the OpenOffice entry in the all-programs entry.
   In the list that opens up, click on the first entry, for OpenOffice itself.
Do not click on any of the individual components.
   OpenOffice should open and present its "dashboard" view.
   This is a white frame with the buttons for the six types of documents
processed by OpenOffice.

   At the top of the opened "OpenOffice" window, there is a menu row.  Click on
the Help item.
   In the little pop-down list that opens, click "About OpenOffice"
   What is the version information in the "About ... OpenOffice" display that
opens up?

   Name and version of the software (e.g., "Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1" :
   Rev. number (in line below name and version number) if any (e.g., 1617669):

Click OK on the "About ...OpenOffice" display.

On the dashboard, there is a diagram of a file folder with an arrow emerging
from it.  Click on the down pointer to the right of that image.  (Not the
folder, the down pointer).

You should see a list of the last few documents you worked on.

How many items are in the list (default maximum is 10):

How many will open by clicking on their filenames in that list (do this in
reverse order):

(This is about opening in any mode, read-only or not.  To go through them one
at a time, you will have to close the opened one without attempting any
changes, and re-open OpenOffice to try the next one)

How many of those that open are identified as being read-only:

How do you determine that they are read-only?

That is, what is the indication in the opened-document window.  Is it the same
for all of the documents that open read-only?

THAT'S MANY QUESTIONS

When we see your response, we will have other questions about the locations of
those documents, or of others that you tried to open that are not on that list
of recent documents.

Thank you for reporting your difficulty.  Your answers will be instrumental in
helping us to narrow down the case to where we can identify its origin and
provide a work-around.

 - Dennis