hello Jim McLaughlin

to boots your Win Xp on the netbook, you should deactivate windows-services which run all the time but are not necessary for your work. its also recommended to remove "uninportend" things from windows autostart.

search for cmd.exe on your system and run command "msconfig" to see which programs run in autostart.

K.H.