On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 14:04:35 +0800
Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.z...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm using Debian Jessie, and I installed the lastest
> Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.2_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_zh-CN on my box.
>
> But, the desktop entries cann't be launched at all, say for writer.desktop.
>
> I can find the following location which this file is installed into:
>
> $ mlocate -ir writer.desktop
> /opt/openoffice4/share/xdg/writer.desktop
n the installation process I use, which is

How to install OO in Ubuntu: Start a Terminal
In the terminal type

sudo apt-get purge libreoffice*

Note that the the trailing * is important.

When the OpenOffice file is downloaded, double click on it and the system
archive manager should start up. Tell it to extract the files - these are
normally extracted to a sub directory of the Downloads folder, in my case
called en-GB (as I use the GB version). Your version will differ.

Now, in a terminal manoeuvre to that sub folder. In my case this is by the
following commands; in your case rory will be replaced by your logon name and
en-GB may be changed, as I mentioned.

cd /home/rory/Downloads/en-GB
cd DEBS
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
When that has completed, do this

cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Do not omit this last change of directory and repeat of the installation
command, as this puts links for OpenOffice into your Office group.

I suspect - only a guess - that in your installation process you overlooked
this final directory change and installation of the desktop-integration section.

This installation method has worked for every. DEB installation I have made
over the last seven years

RoryOF

It takes longer to write out all this than it actually takes to do!

Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>