On 3/1/2016 7:15 AM, James Knott wrote:
On 02/29/2016 11:41 PM, Anthony J. Rudgers wrote:
No need to do anything "special" to get "special" characters (like the
euro symbol) if you're using any Microsoft OS, from Windows XP up to
Windows 7. Just use the Windows "Character Map Utility" that came
installed on your computer when you bought it.
If he's running Windows (I thought the OP said OS/2), it's a simple
matter to select the U.S  International layout, to get the € symbol and
many others.  You can even enable multiple layouts and switch among them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_and_American_keyboards#/media/File:KB_US-International.svg

What's wrong with Insert > Special Character. It's available in writer and calc, but I don't know about the other components.