On 06/06/2016 11:58 AM, jd1008 wrote:

On 06/06/2016 12:53 PM, Regina Henschel wrote:
jd1008 schrieb:
[..]
One way is to simply click on file -> open ... and open the text
document in question - you do not need the 8 choice
menu all over again - however, and unfortunately, aoo does not seem to
support multiple instances of it to be
running simultaneously.

AOO does support running multiple instances, but that is not the right solution for Ron.

Kind regards
Regina

As has been explained already, windows supports multiple (separate) windows of aoo, each
viewing and editing some file.

Linux does not support that.

Actually, Aoo does support multiple instances of the same file open, probably irregardless of OS. I don't know about other OSs, but it works in Linux. Try Window | New Window. The file you do that on will open a separate window (file instance) with the same file. The window header shows <file> : 2 for the second instance. What more could you ask for?

I seem to remember there was a way to split the window into 2 fields with separate scroll bars for each, to look at/edit a file in different places, but I cannot find it now. Maybe someone else knows how to do that.

I just did a further test, modifying the first instance and checking the second instance to verify that the change was propagated. It was. I can also save the changes in either instance, so the file is not locked nor set read-only by creating another instance.

As a side note on multiple AOO instances running at the same time, there once was an *OO version that ran on multi-user systems. That had to run multiple instances of *OO, one for each user on the same computer. I am not sure if there is a separate version for that, or that the *OO configuration can be modified to allow that, or the current version no longer supports that. I have never had a need for it, even though Linux, for one, is a multi-user, multi-tasking OS that is fully capable of it.

HTH
Girvin Herr