On 31/07/2016 22:45, brian wrote:

> substitute the red suit symbols for hearts and diamonds (I cheat by
> copying the symbols from elsewhere in the text) but I can't work out
> how to then switch back to black text after I've done the substitution,

Character Styles.
Create one for Red Suites and one for Black Suites.

Write your document using your usual character style.  When finished,
write a macro that searches for each heart, and applies the Red Suite
character style to it, then change that macro so search for each
diamond, to apply the Red Suite character style to it.  Then modify it
to search for each spade, and apply the Black Suite character style to
it, then change it to search for each club, applying the Black Suite
character style.

> Secondary question: Is there any such thing as a 'reveal codes' option

If you modify the formatting toolbar appropriately, the formatting
changes are displayed there, as one moves through the document. That is
about as close to usable Reveal Codes functionality as you'll find for AOo.

jonathon