[orcmid]

I received an off-list response that NetBeans provides a platform that a GUI
application can run on top off.

Although that still baffles me, I am unclear how that would work, unless the
move to a Java application was done.  The Introduction to NetBeans suggests
that the Platform works primarily for Java applications and it simplifies the
creation of GUI applications (although it helps with non-GUI applications too).

In any case, any major approach to refactoring the code base needs to deal with
these figures:

The Source Code for Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 consists of

   1.43 GB (1,541,226,333 bytes) of text in
 60,955 files, in
  6,429 folders.

It would take an army to figure out how to do that refactoring and then
orchestrate it, with all of the testing needed every step of the way.  And we
don't know, without more analysis whether it is even feasible, especially with
regard to the GUI-facing code and the model beneath it.

> I thought NetBeans is an IDE with an extensive collection of plug-ins.
>
> Do you mean to somehow have the build system work in a way that
> integrated use of NetBeans is possible?
>
> You could try that now.
>
> Why would it matter whether NetBeans becomes Apache NetBeans in the
> future?  The migration to Apache has not started yet.  It will take some
> time.
[orcmid]

I still don't understand what difference using NetBeans as a platform would
prevent trying this whether or not NetBeans comes to Apache, unless it is a
license issue.  If the patform is preserved in Apache NetBeans, the licensing
has to be fixed in order for that to happen.