At 05:03 05/10/2017 -0400, Linda Hull wrote:
I saved my file as filename.txt in Apache OpenOffice Writer. Trying to open it as .csv in a spreadsheet, to work on it further.

Er, your document file cannot have the two different extensions .txt and .csv simultaneously. You mean you want to open it "as CSV", not "as .csv", I think.

I click Open, and insert filename.txt, and click on .txt CSV in the drop down.

That drop-down menu has no effect on how the document file is handled. All it does is restrict the list of files in the current folder that are displayed in the panel above. In other words, once you have got the required file name in the "File name" box, it has no effect at all.

It keeps opening as Writer, not Calc.

It will. OpenOffice selects the appropriate input filter depending on the extension to the file name and the actual contents of the file. Your file name extension .txt tells it you want this considered as a text file, so it thinks you will want to edit it as that.

Is this a bug or did I forget a step or what do I need to do?

Change the file name from filename.txt to filename.csv. You can do this outside OpenOffice, in your operating system, of course. Then open it in OpenOffice. VoilĂ !

I've tried opening a similar file.txt made in notepad++, it's still Writer not Calc.

That would fit the facts.

I believe this just started today, and that I opened similar files with this technique yesterday.

5 October is Computers-are-built-to-confuse-you Day.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker