On 2/12/2018 8:01 AM, Dave Barton wrote:
-------- Original Message --------
From: Gary Madine <gary.e.mad...@gmail.com>
To: users@openoffice.apache.org
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 08:18:21 -0500
I’m trying to prepare an important business letter in a hurry.

How the hell do I disable your automatic "guessing-ahead-of-time" what words I
want to type?

First a note to list subscribers: Please recognize that Garry (not subscribed) has written his message in a frustrated and irritated frame of mind and as a list moderator I would request that you please resist the temptation to respond in a way that might be inflammatory.

Many novice users have similar problems. The reason is volunteers spend a lot of time designing and coding powerful features, and they want to show off their work so they make them the Default. It's understandable why, if they don't, how will anyone  know the feature is available? What goes wrong is the majority of users want something that's easy to use from the start, and all it takes is one snag and the feature turns into a nightmare. When one has time this isn't as frustrating as when one is in a hurry, but when the new car won't start, people get angry. OO is good software, written by talented people, but the lack of focus on marketing causes this type of problem to occur. If OO cost the same as MS Office, it's doubtful many would use it, or
there'd be enough profit to pay 'volunteers' a living wage.

Open source software is necessary to prevent corrupt people from using computers to rip people off, The only way I see to make it viable is to give tax credits to individuals and corporations that support it. In the present system, those who support OSS are at a considerable disadvantage in the market place because work they fund can be used by competitors for free! Money going into OSS projects would enable things essential to success, that volunteers can't do, like writing tutorials and providing on line technical support.

jrh