I am running the same configuration of MacBook Air OS & Open Office 4.1.5
and I have no such issues. Perhaps the problem is a conflict with another
application or resource running in the background.

Consider rebooting your computer and launch Open Office with no other
applications running and see what happens.

--
Howard Blum
Pro Mobile Notary