From the description your document is most likely completely unrecoverable. Your best hope is to try an recover a temporary file created by AOO - see https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038 for suggestions.

On 30/4/19 5:01 am, i...@taxi-pt.si wrote:
Dear Madam, Sir,

today I have opened an Open Office document after I started my computer. When I wanted to open the document it asked me to update the Open Office and I clicked yes. When the document opened it asked me what ASCII filter options and I chose the character set that it offerd and clicked OK. It has f***d up my document that contained my reservations and now I canĀ“t get it back. PLEASE, I BEG YOU, PLEASE HELP ME get it back. Please let me know what I need to do. Thank you

Cheers
--
David Robley

"This is my favorite chinese soup," Tom said wantonly.