Hi Jon,
I'm responding to offer some thoughts about your invoicing requirements. If
you've thought it through, you're all set. If not, you might want to
consider some of the following.
Will you need to track status of invoices?
 - paid / unpaid
 - partial paid and balance due
Report on invoices?
 - total invoices mailed this month
 - total of invoices paid this month
What will the volume be like?
 - a few a month or many each week?
 - how do you envision producing them? e.g. fill in spaces on a document
and print the document or fill in a form on the screen, taxes and totals
automatically calculated and then invoice printed.

OpenOffice can certainly all of it Depending on the amount of automation
you desire making it happen will be simple or require more than basic
skill. If you only need to fill out a paper invoice with no automation,
that would be a basic form in Writer. If you want automation OpenOffice can
meet the need but the system needs to be built. If you want automation and
aren't up to building it, consider an invoicing program. I searched "open
source invoice software" and got the following links which may help you
decide.
https://opensource.com/article/18/10/open-source-invoicing-tools
http://opensourcebilling.org/
https://www.bambooinvoice.net/