At 09:14 04/02/2020 -0500, Dan Lewis wrote:
I[t] sounds like you did not set how you want backup copies to be made. If so, Alan is completely right.

Well, yes and no.

The hidden file in the document file's folder with a name that "would likely start with the ~ character and end with #" (there's no "likely" about it, and it starts with ".~", in fact) is a lock file and does not contain the document's text or any part of it. It won't help anyone if they find it.

 Check this out:

1) Tools > Options > Openoffice[] > Load/Save > General. (Select these one at a time to browse to where you can make changes in making backups.)

2) I check Autorecovery and reduce the number of minutes to 5. With this, information about my document is saved every 5 minutes. These are saved in the backup folder every 5 minutes. If there is a problem like you had, I can open the latest one of these files and continue from that point.

This may be good general advice (it is), but - as Alan Bonly says - it is useful only after failures such as a program crash or power outage, when the program terminates other than gracefully. This won't help the questioner, who had a different problem, when she mistakenly clicked Discard when closing her document. The only possibility here, I think, is if an automatic back-up facility - such as Windows' File History - happened to catch the recovery copy in the "backup" folder during the editing session and before it was deleted.

Brian Barker