Paul,

There is no phone support. This mailing list is volunteer support. Having
said that, from your problem description, it seems likely if you
double-click one of the files you want to edit in Wordpad the file opens in
Writer instead.

If this is a fair description of the problem then, to correct it, you
must...
1. RIGHT-CLICK one of the files you would like to open in Worpad
2. on the menu that appears click the "Properties" item, usually the last
item on the menu
3.  click the "Change..." button
4. Find Wordpad in the list of apps (it may be necessary to click "more
apps" to see Wordpad in the list)
5. Click on Wordpad
6. Click the OK button
7. Click the next OK button

These steps will make Wordpad open this file and any other Wordpad file
when the file is double-clicked. It only needs to be done one time.

The above steps were written using Windows 10 as reference. Steps 1 & 2 are
consistent across all versions of Windows as far as I recall. From step 3
onward there may be slight differences depending the version of Windows.
Regardless, the requirement is the same. Change the program that opens the
file to Wordpad from whatever it is.

Two notes:
If/when you install OpenOffice again be mindful during the install for the
option to make OpenOffice the default program. Do not select this option
and it will not be necessary to perform the seven steps above, again, to
make Wordpad open your documents.

Uninstall Writer is not necessary. Very little disk space is recovered by
doing so and having it installed is not the root cause of the problem.

--
Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011