From: Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Sent: 29 May 2020 07:19
To: users@openoffice.apache.org <users@openoffice.apache.org>
Cc: Michael Lermer <michaeller...@hotmail.co.uk>
Subject: Re: support

On Thu, 28 May 2020 22:13:21 +0000
Michael Lermer <michaeller...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been using Open Office for several years, and have found it to be an
> excellent product, which I prefer to MS Office.  However, an odt file I have
> created appears to have become corrupted, and I am not able to open it.  I
> have attached some screenshots showing what happens when I attempt to open it
> in Open Office; the first screenshot shows the dialogue box, and the second
> screenshot shows that, when it does open I just get a lot of symbols.  (I
> have also tried opening it in MS Word, but just get a message saying “the
> file is corrupt and cannot be opened”).  Is there a way of repairing or
> recovering the file?  If you wish I can attach the file that I am trying to
> open.  Thank you for your help.  Kind regards,
>
> Michael Lermer

A file that opens as ### is damaged - possibly because of over-hasty power off
of the computer before the internal buffers in the hard drive had written to
disk.

You may be able to recover a previous version of the file - see
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038 - a [Tutorial]
How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the
file ;

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was
when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which
have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and
then deleted.  This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or
you last saved it.

Experience shows that you should not waste any time with y our existing file -
it will have no usable content.  Concentrate on the recovery methods outlined
in the tutorial.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>

[https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif]<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
  Virus-free.
  • Re: support Rory O'Farrell
    • Re: support Michael Lermer