On 12/12/08 14:10, Joe Grech wrote:
In fact yes.  I sent a friend of mine a PP att and he told me that he cannot
open them under Vista, he needs a new MS Office.  I recommended him Open Office
which he download and liked it very much.  But when he tried to open PP it
started OK but after a few seconds it stopped and asked for MS Office

Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:22:36 -0500
From: james.kn...@rogers.com
To: users@openoffice.org
Subject: Re: [users] Impress in Vista

Joe Grech wrote:
Does Impress open Power Point in Vista?  Are there any tricks to do it?? Tks
OpenOffice opens Power Point files on any operating system. Are you having a specific problem?

If the PoperPoint file opens in OpenOffice.org, but after a few seconds it asks for MS Office, then it is possible that the PowerPoint document contains embedded objects from other MS Office programs, for example an Excel table. If Excel is installed on the same computer, the document opens, but if Excel is not installed, the embedded object must be converted.

Your friend can try to open OOo, then choose "Tools - Options - Load/Save - VBA Properties". Then check all checkboxes.

This tells OOo to substitute all known embedded MS Office objects by its own objects. So the embedded Excel table would be converted to an embedded Calc table, and the presentation can start.

There may be a few embedded objects of MS types without corresponding OOo types, but in most cases the checking all the checkboxes trick should work.

Uwe
--
  u...@openoffice.org  -  Technical Writer
  StarOffice - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Hamburg, Germany