On 03/26/09 23:50, Ugly Me wrote:
How do you view help files outside of OOo?  As with a few other open source
programs I have used, it uses some bizarre help format that is totally
incompatible with the standard .hlp/.cnt/.fts  and .chm/.chw files that are
easily viewed from the desktop or virtually any directory window by double
clicking them.  I find this quite useful when trying to look up a reference
prior to using a program.  This is, of course a standard in MS Windows - I
don't know if there's a Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris equivalent.  Anyhow if there's
a way to view the help files it would be of great help to me - who knows?
Maybe even to others.  Thanks.

there is an (outdated) guide at the documentation.openoffice.org page:
http://documentation.openoffice.org/online_help/helpers/helpauthoring/guide/OOo2HelpAuthoring.pdf

Mind that the help source files are no "bizarre help format" but use well defined XML formats that can be opened and viewed with every text editor. While most of the "standard" formats that you list are proprietary formats developed by a Company That Must Not Be Named(TM) here. You will even not be able to open a "standard" .chm help file on their latest operating system Vista.

For viewing the OOo help files, use the OOo Help Viewer. It's free.

Uwe
--
  u...@openoffice.org  -  Technical Writer
  StarOffice - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Hamburg, Germany