James Elliott wrote:

Suspecting some program was running in the background and hogging resources I made sure my AVG virus scanner was not running and then looked at Windows Task Manager to see what processes were running. Sure enough, the System Idle process was varying from 98% down to 13% when some process was hogging the CPU. By watching for a few moments I determined that it was soffice.bin that was intermittently taking up to 90% of the CPU's attention ... and this was when I wasn't even using Writer, just had it on the screen, but had not typed a character for a few minutes.

Hi James,
I had something similar a while back, but eventually traced excessive CPU usage back to a hard disk hardware problem with the help of Process Explorer. You might want to try it just to make sure it is OOo.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

--

Pierre
Worrigee, NSW,

"The boys dressed themselves, hid their accoutrements, and went off grieving that there were no outlaws any more, and wondering what modern civilization could claim to have done to compensate for their loss. They said they would rather be outlaws a year in Sherwood Forest than President of the United States forever." Mark Twain's Adventures of Tom Sawyer