Pierre wrote:
James Knott wrote:
Some people feel the need to fix something that isn't broken.  A similar
situation is developing with the Linux KDE desktop, where apparently
"eye candy" has become more important than function.

Exactly! And while we're at it, why did they wreck Amarok?

Don't get me started on KDE and Amarok and KsCD!!! Functionality has been deprecated in favour of "cashew nuts", plasma and trying to be too flash. Like a car - the more moving parts, the more there is to break. I thought that UNIX coding was make a tool, make it do one (or a few) things very well, make it so it can be coupled (e.g. piped) with other tools to make more powerful tools, and so on. Why can't the OOo and KDE (& Amarok & KsCD, for example) developers focus on function first and let form evolve if it needs to do so. Is this the developers or some other design contingent who are chasing this dragon?