2009/12/24 William Case <billli...@rogers.com>:
> Hi;
>
> I may be having a brain cramp but ...
>
> In Calc, how do I group some rows together before sorting?
>
> For example, I have a small set of data like
>
>        Col:A   Col:B   Col:C    Col:D
>
> row1    jkdfa   dsajh   ociv
> row2    djafsh  ire     q.e     ab
> row3                            cd
> row4                            ef
> row5    zpdd    uwen    qerw
>
> I want to sort on Col:A,  however I want to somehow group rows 2, 3 & 4
> together so that at the end of the sort rows 2, 3 & 4 are still
> contiguous.
>
> I am sure there is a way to do this that I have forgotten.  If a help
> explanation exists, then I have also forgotten the correct help index
> criteria (word) to search under.

I am actually not sure this is possible, but here's a workaround:

Your spreadsheet looks like this:
>        Col:A   Col:B   Col:C    Col:D
>
> row1    jkdfa   dsajh   ociv
> row2    djafsh  ire     q.e     ab
> row3                            cd
> row4                            ef
> row5    zpdd    uwen    qerw

Make it look like this instead:

       Col:A   Col:B   Col:C    Col:D
row1    jkdfa   dsajh   ociv
row2    djafsh  ire     q.e     ab
row3    djafsh  ire     q.e     cd
row4    djafsh  ire     q.e     ef
row5    zpdd    uwen    qerw

Now, use conditional formatting to make a cell look empty if the cell
above it has the same content:
Create a style that use the same character colour as the background colour.
In the conditional formatting dialogue, select ”cell value is” and
enter the following (for A2 in this case):
=A1
Then select your new style that should be selected if the statement is true.

Johnny Rosenberg