2010/1/3 jonathon <jonathon.bl...@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 21:34, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>
>> I actually think it's a good thing that missing characters are substituted.
>
> It  is  a really bad idea, because it  encourages  non-portable
> documents, with the document creator not knowing why  the other
> readers/users of the document  aren't seeing what was written.

Okay, could affect some people. I never send ODF to people, since I
always export to PDF before sending my work to anyone, so it wouldn't
affect me and those who I send documents to. And no, no one is allowed
to edit my documents, so PDF is fine for me.

But yes, millions of other people would probably have issues.
Do you think it would be a good idea if the ODF standard (and
OpenOffice.org) let you include fonts in ODF documents, like a PDF?

Johnny Rosenberg