2010/1/10 Programmer In Training <p...@joseph-a-nagy-jr.us>:
> On 1/9/2010 6:47 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> 2010/1/10 John Boyle <jbo...@harbornet.com>:
>>> To Users: I use WIN XP, and today at my computer club, we had a presentation
>>> of WIN 7 and the FACT that MANY programs are NOT compatible with it, OR ,
>>> the FACT that you have to have the original installation disks, as you have
>>> to re-install ALL programs, although you can  and must back up ALL that you
>>> have on your computer NOW!
>>
>> Well, you take daily backups anyway like everyone else, don't you?
>
> I just want to say, not everyone makes daily backups. To assume so is
> naive.

Well, naive or not, they should, and if they don't it's not my problem…
;P

> Should we all make backups? Sure. Daily? Not unless you're
> running a mission critical server that is constantly changing.

Well, I edit documents every day nothing says exactly when my HDD will
crash, so daily backups is the only option, at least for people like
me who don't want to redo weeks of work manually.

My backups doesn't take very long, maybe 1 minute in worst case. I
backup to an external USB HDD using my own script which use rsync.
Only changed files are written to the drive each time, of course, but
now and then I do a fresh backup from scratch, which takes a couple of
hours though, but I start it right before going to bed, so it's
finished next morning.

>>> I was given a WIN 7 Upgrade Advisor disk, to take
>>> home, this is NOT WIN 7 itself, but it checks out what you have both in
>>> devices and in software, and gives you a list of what will work and what
>>> won't! BEFORE, anyone upgrades, it would behoove you to get that Advisor
>>> from MSFT! Those of you who just got NEW computers with WIN 7 already
>>> installed, I say great, but most of us are in deep trouble, as I see it!!!
>>> =-O Â You will either have to find ALL the original installation disks, or
>>> get new versions on disks, except for Open Office, which you will just have
>>> to download ALL OVER AGAIN!
>>
>> Well, OpenOffice.org is not a big download. Takes a couple of minutes,
>> if you aren't left behind at stone age with some kind of dial up modem
>> thingy or whatever they are called in English.
>
> The stone age isn't so far back. Broadband penetration is under 50% in
> the US last time I heard.

Really? I didn't realize you people were left behind that much, sorry for that.

http://www.internetstatistik.se/content/1781-sverige-bast-pa-bredband-i-eu.html

This site is in Swedish (the only language I understand), but it says
that 56% of the households in EU has broadband (which is also a
surprisingly low amount).
Sweden 80%
Netherlands 77%
Denmark 76%
Finland 74%

The numbers are for 2009 and the article was written in 11th of
December 2009 (2009-12-11).

Well, OK, all the numbers were lower than I thought, so yes, you're
right. But I still think everyone SHOULD have the right to broadband…

>>> It seems it is mandatory that you backup ALL
>>> your hard drives, even though you still have to have the original
>>> installation disks, anyway! Plus you may have to get NEW HARDWARE, Â also!
>>> Â How many think WIN 7 is worth ALL this trouble? :-\
>>
>> I don't know. I haven't used Windows since summer 2007 and I will
>> never use it again.
>
> If only I were so lucky.

In fact I have logged in to my Windows partition a few times since
summer 2007, but only for troubleshooting, like when our Internet
provider fails, I try in Windows to verify that I didn't mess up
Ubuntu in some way (so far my Internet provider has been the only one
to blame the few times this happened).

Johnny Rosenberg