On 8 October 2010 09:13, John Jason Jordan <johnjas...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is just a point of idle curiosity.
>
> I have used OOo for many years, currently 3.1.1 (from OOo, not the
> repos) on Fedora 11 x86_64. I do not have MS Office installed on any of
> my computers.
>
> Recently I have been working on an Impress presentation (on Scribus,
> not OOo) that I will give to a local Linux user group at the end of
> November. This evening the group had a meeting, so I brought my Impress
> file with me on a USB stick.
>
> The meeting is held in a classroom at a local university. My purpose in
> bringing what I had done so far on the USB stick was to see if it
> worked with the projector in the classroom. I did not bring my computer
> with me. The university maintains OOo on just about all its computers,
> all of which run XP.
>
> With the classroom computer running XP I looked all over for OOo,  but
> apparently it was not installed on the computer in this classroom. Just
> to be sure I hadn't missed it I decided to double-click on the Impress
> file. I reasoned that if OOo was installed on the computer,
> double-clicking on the file should launch Impress and the file.
>
> I was stunned when MS Office Powerpoint appeared on screen with my
> Impress file.
>
> I did not know that MS Office had OOo import filters. I knew that OOo
> does a great job of opening MS Office files, but I thought that MS
> ignored OOo.

That is interesting. You may also like to know that there's a portable (
www.portableapps.com) version of OOo (3.2.0 currently)  that you can install
on your USB stick and carry with you. It runs from the stick and doesn't
install anything on the host computer. In particular it doesn't touch the
host's Registry. And it's free :-)

No, I am not paid in money or in kind by portableapps.com; I'm just a happy
"customer".

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England