NoOp mentioned:

> While doubling the size of the PDF, you can save as a 'hybrid' PDF. That
> way you can open the PDF directly in Writer and edit.

That's definitely worth a try.

But if I open a pdf file as such from oo write it will open it in oo
draw which does not offer that format when I try to save it.

> <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Pdf_Import_Extension/Announcement>
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&complete=0&q=openoffice+%2Bpdf+%2Bhybrid&btnG=Search>
>
> For existing:
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PDF_software#Unix_.2F_Linux>
>
> PDF Edit is good, but rather complex and can take some time to master (I
> never have).
> http://pdfedit.petricek.net/en/index.html
> http://pdfedit.petricek.net/en/user_doc.html
>
> If you plan to edit quite a few, particularly in a commercial
> environment, I'd recommend PDF Studio:
> http://www.qoppa.com/index.html
> Give the free trial a spin:
> http://www.qoppa.com/pdfstudio/index.html

More  than  EDIT  pdf files, my goal is to EXTRACT or EMPHASIZE info
contained in them.

Converting to a .txt file would allow that but of course, I'd lose
the preexisting formatting and graphics.

I will follow up on your suggestions and links, which should help me
arrive sooner at a more or less workable solution.

One more thing:  My own posts are not returning (so I'm bbc-ing
myself) and I'm wondering if this can be changed via my account's
configuration.