On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 14:07 +0200, Fred H. wrote:
> Hello,
> I intend to download Open Office, since lots of people recommend it as a
> (very good) alternative to Microsoft's Office.
>
> Now my question: I understand Open Office will take over my Office files
> (Word). Since I am not a big fan of Microsoft (who is?) I would like to
> get rid of the whole Office package after installation of Open Office.
> Can I safely do this?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Fred Helfenberger

No, OOo (OpenOffice.org) will not "take over" your MS Office files.
When you install OOo you will be offered the option to "associate" OOo
with your MS Office files. This does not mean it will change your Office
files, it just means that those files will be automatically opened by
equivalent OOo component.

Yes, if you wish, you can safely remove the MS Office package, but OOo
will peacefully coexist with MS Office.

Hope this helps.

Dave
replies to your query.
Please reply to users@openoffice.org only and include some indication
that you are not subscribed to this list.
(eg. "I am not subscribed to this list, please cc me.")

For on-line support see: http://support.openoffice.org/index.html
For a knowledge base see: http://mindmeld.cybersite.com.au/