on 01/15/2007 04:41 PM Michele Zarri said the following:

>> Format > Bullets and Numbering then work on the Options and Position tab
> to set up the bullet (or numbering) style and indentation for each level
> you
> desire.
>
> I do not find it messy, but it is indeed different from Microsoft Word (and
> as a regular user of both, I would add better, but that's a matter of
> taste).

What I find messy is that there are list styles and then this free form
stuff which is somewhat structured that has no link to the styles.
For structured working I would prefer the list styles. But they seem to be
inconsistent.

> Outline numbering is quite different from a bulleted or numbered list and
> they are managed independently (although I have seen people using numbered
> list for creating outline headings, now that's advanced stuff!).

Why are there list styles and then all this other numbering/bullet styles?
Why not just assign list styles (which can be designated as outlines as
well) to paragraphs an be done with it and have the formating icons select
the appropriate thing (if one has to have the formatting icons)?

What you call advanced stuff is standard in any structured text system I
used so far. And I think OO should be able to handle it easily, but got
sidetracked and now has a mix of methods that are neither well integrated
nor well separated making it rather confusing, it actually feels more
messed up than Word if that is possible at all.

All the docs I have seen so far is for beginners not explaining how to
really work with structured consistent texts adapted to given (by a
publisher) layout constraints.
Can't use it for book projects (replacing FrameMaker) before I have that
properly in order.

cheers
afx

--
Espresso / Cappuccino ist wie Liebe,
man muss sich heute die gleiche Mühe geben wie gestern