CPHennessy wrote:
On Sunday 21 January 2007 15:52, John Meyer wrote:
More to the point, why are these posts even allowed.  Are we supposed to
take time out and send them a personal e-mail, as opposed to just
hitting the reply key?

Hi John,
Please have a look at many of the newbie posts, then hardly know how to operate their PCs and definitely do not know what "mailing lists" are about. Many of them are even surprised that the "product" could possibly even be free so the concept of "moderation" is even more alien to them. I CC: moderated emails and forward useful replies to users as I think that it helps them while at the same time reminding people here to be aware of the fact that many users need more than "just" the reply button.
You are providing an useful service by forwarding these messages to the original poster. However, sending them to the list, while they may remind the original replier that they should have replied to the original poster as well is annoying to everyone else an a waste of bandwidth. Think about those users who are still on dialup, especially if they have to pay for each email downloaded.
If you are offend by my actions, then please add my email address to your kill file. If however you want your answers to be seen by the original emailer then please "CC:" them if they are moderated.
Adding your address to a kill file would also eliminate any original responses you make. It would not reduce the amount of bandwidth, especially for dialup users.
FYI: There are still over 100 emails to this mailing list from moderated users who never received replies since December 1st. I hope to get to most of those by the end of this month, if someone else has not already..
Please continue doing this, BUT DO NOT send copies to the list. IMO this is as bad as SPAM.

--
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan

Website: http://larry-gusaas.com