On Nov 13, 2007 9:25 AM, James Trotter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I wrote a quick letter using Writer and sent it to my mum via email, who
> has MS Office installed (I think MSOffice 97), however she was not able to
> open it.
>
> How do I ensure my mum can open (Writer) documents, when I send them to
> her via email? (She has MSOffice97 installed on her computer).
>
> To save the documents you create in MS Word format or optionally set
Writer so it saves in MS Word format by default do as follows:

To save in Word format:
- for a new document select File>Save from the menu
- for a document that has been saved previously select File>Save As...
from the menu
- fill in the File Name if needed (there will be a name showing if the
file was saved previously)
- from the "Save as type" list select the appropriate MSWord type,
e.g. "Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP"
- make sure "Automatic file name extension is checked" (this setting
will be remembered)
- click the "Save" button

To change the default so it always saves in Word format
- select Tool>Options... from the menu
- open the Load/ Save branch
- select the General item on this branch
- look for the "Default file format" settings near the bottom middle
- - set the Document type to Text document
- - set the Always save as option to Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP
- click the OK button