Tom Griffin wrote:
I have been using open office writer for a year with now problem.  I mail lots of
attachements so I save them as Microsoft Word file.  Anything I know I will never need to
e mail I save as an open office doc.  in the last couple of days all docs are saving
differently - when I look at the properties, at type of file it just says "File"

I can't seem to save any docs now to anything other than this format.

They only think different in the last few days is that I have downloaded
internet explorer 7 and upgraded anti virus to norton 360.

if anyone has any suggestions on help please let me know

If you haven't changed anything else, I suspect the problem is due to IE 7 and there's nothing wrong with your files. Make sure, in "Save as", that automatic file extensions is enabled. You might also want to download & install the Word viewer from Microsoft, which will allow you to verify those files before you send them. If you install it, you will have to reset the file association for Word files back to OpenOffice.

Changing file associations

Right click on file icon
Select Open With > Choose Program...
Check "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" and choose the desired application.
If that method is not available, follow the directions listed here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859

Please respond only to the mail list (users@openoffice.org) and not directly to me.