Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
Cliff Wells wrote:
On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 19:02 +0300, Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
OK, here's what I found concerning ubuntu-7.10 VE vs. OpenVZ.

Seems to work fine.  Minor nit would be the unknown group 11.  I did a
'find -gid 11' and it turned up a bunch of /dev/fd* stuff with that GID,
but chowning them to root didn't get rid of the message.

This message ("id: cannot find name for group ID 11") comes from id binary which is executed from /etc/profile during user login (or vzctl enter). Since root belongs to group 11, "id" tries to get the name of the group.

The line about group with ID of 11 is absent from /etc/group. I'm not sure why. Since you found out some /dev/fd* files belong to the group, I guess group name should be something like 'floppy'. I guess that adding something like
floppy:x:11:
to /etc/group should fix the issue.

I will file a bug to ubuntu about that, but generally it should be harmless as it is.
Well, apparently the problem is way different. They do have floppy group, but with a different GID. The problem is it looks like MAKEDEV script used by debootstrap to create devices is using host system's /etc/groups, thus /dev/fd* has a group ID of 11, which is 'floppy' on my host Gentoo system I use to bootstrap this template.

So, this looks like a bug in debootstrap.

It looks as if perhaps the tmpfs's are being mounted twice now?
Yep, first time they do it in /etc/init.d/mountkernfs.sh, then in /etc/init.d/mountall.sh (calling pre_mountall function from sourced /lib/init/mount-functions.sh) they bind-mount both /var/run and /var/lock to under /dev/shm. That is why we see what we see.

I am not touching that stuff now because I already learned they assume a lot of things (like /var/run is clean after reboot) and one can open a can of worms breaking their assumptions.

Still I don't understand why they mount twice and I will file a bug about it.
Apparently they do want it that way
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sysvinit/+bug/163956