Dietmar,

----- "Dietmar Maurer" <diet...@proxmox.com> wrote:
> We at Proxmox ended up compiling the RHEL kernel for Debian. So we
> now have a Debian system with RHEL kernel and OpenVZ. So far that works
> quite good.

I'm very glad to hear that.  Would you recommend that a stock Debian user use
your kernel for OpenVZ stuff?  If so, I have to wonder how well it would work
on the upcoming distro releases that Suno was talking about.

Also, you didn't mention it so I will... your "RHEL kernel for Debian" also
includes KVM support, right?  If so, I imagine your kernel might also be of
interest to RHEL/CentOS host node users so they could gain the KVM
functionality.  Would you recommend that?  I assume that your binary packaging
of it is in .deb format and I'm not sure of the process of installing that on
an rpm-based system.  I know .deb packages use common underlying tools so even
without dpkg I should be able to get to the contents once I learn the specifics.

And finally, to combine the two together... what about the other tools... vzctl
and vzquota?  Would one use stock OpenVZ supplied packages or would one use the
tools packages by you as well for your packaged kernel?  And what about
management of KVM machines?

The simple answer I guess is to use Proxmox VE and I'm certainly not against
that as I know a number of happy PVE users and you do a fantastic job of
supporting your software.  I'd just like, if at all possible, to see some of
the PVE stuff make it back out to the stock OpenVZ user.  I know your sources
are available but so far we don't have anyone in the community with the needed
skills who has stepped forward to do the work.  I know I'm not qualified.  I'd
love to see your "RHEL kernel for Debian" be available as a "RHEL kernel for
rpm-based distros that includes both OpenVZ and KVM support".  Or maybe I'm
looking at this the wrong way.  I asked Kir some time ago if the newer official
OpenVZ RHEL-based kernels included KVM support and he said that Red Hat doesn't
package the KVM stuff with the kernel... and that the KVM modules and
user-space apps are in separate packages which OpenVZ doesn't provide.  So I
guess the stock OpenVZ RHEL-5.4-based kernel could be used for KVM!
  stuff too if someone were packaging the extra bits or... perhaps... if the
existing RHEL/CentOS KVM support packages could be used if some instructions
were put together saying out.

I use KVM for a few things (like for non-Linux VMs) and I'd love to be able to
use both OpenVZ and KVM on the same machine as a RHEL/CentOS fanboy.

Sorry for getting so off the topic that Suno originally asked about but I like
the directions this discussion is going in. :)

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street