Some errors in service status, Is engine-notifierd critical to VDSM? Why did it say" pgrep: invalid user name: engine"

[root@ovirt-node1 ~]# service --status-all
/etc/init.d/ceph: ceph conf /etc/ceph/ceph.conf not found; system is not configured.
# Generated by ebtables-save v1.0 on Tue May 15 14:08:06 CST 2012
*nat
:PREROUTING ACCEPT
:OUTPUT ACCEPT
:POSTROUTING ACCEPT

pgrep: invalid user name: engine
/etc/init.d/engine-notifierd is stopped
JAVA_EXECUTABLE or HSQLDB_JAR_PATH in '/etc/sysconfig/hsqldb' is set to a non-file.
No active sessions
On 2012-5-15 12:19, Haim Ateya wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shu Ming"<shum...@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
To: "users@oVirt.org"<users@ovirt.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 4:56:36 AM
Subject: [Users] The SPM host  node is in unresponsive mode

Hi,
    I attached one host node in my engine.  Because it is the only one
node, it is automatically the SPM node.  And it used to run well in
my
engine.  Yesterday, some errors happened in the network work of the
host
node.  That made the node become "unresponsive" in the engine.  I am
sure the network errors are fixed and want to bring the node back to
life now.  However, I found that the only one node could not  be
"confirm as host been rebooted" and could not be set into the
maintenance mode.   The reason  given there is no active host in the
datacenter and SPM can not enter into maintenance mode.  It seems
that
it fell into a logic loop here.  Losting network can be quite common
in
developing environment even in production environment, I think we
should
have a way to address this problem on how to repair a host node
encountering network down for a while.
Hi Shu,

first, for the manual fence to work ("confirm host have been rebooted") you
will need
another host in the cluster which will be used as a proxy and send the actual
manual fence command.
second, you are absolutely right, loss of network is a common scenario, and we
should be able
to recover, but lets try to understand why your host remain unresponsive after
network returned.
please ssh to the host and try the following:

- vdsClient -s 0 getVdsCaps (validity check making sure vdsm service is up and
running and communicate with its network socket from localhost)
- please ping between host and engine
- please make sure there is no firewall on blocking tcp 54321 (on both host and
engine)

also, please provide vdsm.log (from the time network issues begun) and
spm-lock.log (both located on /var/log/vdsm/).

as for a mitigation, we can always manipulate db and set it correctly, but
first, lets try the above.

--
Shu Ming<shum...@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
IBM China Systems and Technology Laboratory