On 10/30/2013 12:56 PM, Vinzenz Feenstra wrote:
On 10/28/2013 04:19 PM, René Koch (ovido) wrote:
On Sun, 2013-10-27 at 23:31 +0200, Itamar Heim wrote:
A great week at linuxcon/cloudopen/kvmforum/ovirt conference at
Edinburgh, and some other nice feedback on oVirt, meriting a special
edition of this update.
Feel free to chime in with your feedback as well.
Thanks a lot for the KVM forum special newsletter.

It is sometimes hard to remember we only released oVirt 3.0 last year,
and that it takes time to get traction.
For example, see slide 3 in the presentation i gave on oVirt Updates[1]
to see the clear trend in adoption (via total users mailing list addresses).

My favorite slide is #12 (amongst others) - thanks Itamar :)

Similarly, in Livnat's oVirt-intro session at CloudOpen, with ~75 people
in the room, almost all raised their hand on her question "who knows/has
oVirt".

We had a plethora of topics (same link as [1]), but i wanted to highlight:

SUSE support
During Livnat's talk, a question was raised wrt SUSE support.
Asking for more details, we got ~"I'm running oVirt in testing and RHEV
in production. with 200 SUSE 10/11 servers. I just want the guest-agent
to have their ip address in the gui".
So first of all, good to know SUSE runs as a guest without issues.
 From my experience so far there's no recent distribution which isn't
running without issues on oVirt. I tested SLES, openSUSE, CentOS, RHEL,
Fedora, Linux Mint, Debian, Ubuntu and all worked fine.
Some older distributions like the one in the attached screenshot are
running fine with IDE and rtl8139 emulated disks/nics...

Also, the guest-agent itself is just a python script that should just
work. Just some packaging is required, so we're looking to revamp this
in build.opensuse.org, and hope some SUSE users will help us with
closing and testing this one.
I can help creating packages for SLES and openSUSE on build.opensuse.org
for latest guest agent without SSO (and of course test the packages) or
is Vinzenz Feenstra already working on it as I saw he pushed the sources
to OBS?
I have been creating first packages now for openSuSE 12.3, 13.1 and Factory:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:evilissimo

It'd be great if you could help me testing them :-) For SLES I will still have to check what's requirements are. (Environment wise (systemd present? dependent libraries etc))
I also packaged the latest python-ethtool from upstream

Please let me know if anything is broken so I can address the issue :-)
Update: I have created the package now also for SLES 11 SP3

In related SUSE news, I just saw this posted "After looking into oVirt
it looks absolutely fantastic. Might look into seeing if I can help with
porting this to openSUSE. What kind of work is involved in the porting
of the application like this?"
(discussion ongoing)

on PPC:
Leonardo from the Eldorado research center in Brazil gave a lecture on
their work to add PPC support to oVirt. Paul Mackerras (KVM PPC
developer) from IBM and Alexenader Graf attended and gave a lot of
feedback, and potential interest from other PPC vendors, which should be
hopefully mostly config level changes.

User Stories:
Keele university presented their path to oVirt. Always nice to hear how
our project is used, and we actually asked them a lot of questions on
why/how they use it the way they do. They also did a case study with
Dave Neary, which i hope to see more from oVirt community members.

Also, always nice to hear: in an irc chat on #ovirt: "I looked at ovirt
about 4 months ago and when I came back a few days ago I was blown away
at how far it had come! The devs have done an awesome job".

All KVM Forum/oVirt sessions slides (and youtube's) should be available
here[1]
Thanks for sharing - will watch some of the presentations.

Thanks,
     Itamar

[1] oVirt Updates session by Itamar Heim
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRCSQmAOh7yzgheq-emy1xA

Regards,

Vinzenz Feenstra | Senior Software Engineer
RedHat Engineering Virtualization R & D
Phone: +420 532 294 625
IRC: vfeenstr or evilissimo

See how it works at redhat.com