Paul,

Thanks for the response.

You mention that the issue is orphaned files during updates when one node
is down.  However I am less concerned about adding and removing files
because the file server will be predominately VM disks so the file
structure is fairly static.  Those VM files will be quite active however -
will gluster be able to keep track of partial updates to a large file when
one out of two bricks are down?

Right now I am leaning towards using SSD for "host local" disk - single
brick gluster volumes intended for VMs which are node specific and then 3
way replicas for the higher availability zones which tend to be more read
oriented.   I presume that read-only access only needs to get data from one
of the 3 replicas so that should be reasonably performant.

Thanks,
David