On 08/29/2014 07:34 PM, David King wrote:
Paul,

Thanks for the response.

You mention that the issue is orphaned files during updates when one
node is down.  However I am less concerned about adding and removing
files because the file server will be predominately VM disks so the file
structure is fairly static.  Those VM files will be quite active however
- will gluster be able to keep track of partial updates to a large file
when one out of two bricks are down?

Yes, gluster only updates regions of the file that need to be synchronized during self-healing. More details on this synchronization can be found in the self-healing section of afr's design document [1].

Right now I am leaning towards using SSD for "host local" disk - single
brick gluster volumes intended for VMs which are node specific and then
3 way replicas for the higher availability zones which tend to be more
read oriented.   I presume that read-only access only needs to get data
from one of the 3 replicas so that should be reasonably performant.

Yes, read operations are directed to only one of the replicas.

Regards,
Vijay

[1] https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/doc/features/afr-v1.md