Hi,

Probably not an oVirt issue, but maybe someone can help. I've deployed a pretty basic VM (ubuntu 14.04 server, 4GB RAM, 4 CPUs, 15GB storage). Each time I install an additional desktop environment (Gnome, KDE, whatever...), CPU usage rises to 100% all time to the extreme that interacting with the machine becomes impossible (maybe a mouse movement is propagated 3 minutes later or so...).

To debug this, I installed LXDE, which is a lightweight desktop environment based on Xorg. I could see there is an Xorg process consuming one of the CPUs and the machine stops responding as far as the desktop environment goes. I have not changed anything in the configuration file.

I could also see this only happens when QXL is chosen as the display driver. When CIRRUS is chosen, everything works smoothly and CPU is ~100% idle. The downside is that we want to use SPICE and CIRRUS won't allow it.

Why does this happen? Is this an OS-side driver issue? Any hint how can it be fixed?

Thanks.

Nicolás