Hi,

You could try to add " net.inet.carp.drop_echoed=1" to pfsense in
/etc/sysctl.conf ?

It is an old fix for VMWare and FreeBSD. I am not able to test it at the
moment but I can see it's not in the config of the latest version of
PFSense.

Maybe this will help?

https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/CARP_Configuration_Troubleshooting

            Client Port Issues

    If a physical CARP cluster is connected to a switch with an ESX box
    using multiple ports on the ESX box (lagg group or similar), and
    only certain devices/IPs are reachable by the target VM, then the
    port group settings in ESX may need adjusted to set the load
    balancing for the group to hash based on IP, not the originating
    interface.

    Side effects of having that set incorrectly include:

      * Traffic only reaching the target VM in promisc mode on its NIC
      * Inability to reach the CARP IP from the target VM when the
        "real" IP of the primary firewall is reachable
      * Port forwards or other inbound connections to the target VM work
        from some IPs and not others.

On 07/13/2016 03:59 PM, Matt . wrote:
> As addition: I get the same result using mode=4, only when I use
> multiple VLANS on the interface.

>> Hi Pavel,
>>
>> Thanks for your update. I also saw that the post are both online but I
>> thought the second nic only advertises the mac so the switch does not
>> get confused.
>>
>> The issue might be that i do VRRP, so the bond is connected to two
>> switches, they are not stacked, only trunked as that's what VRRP
>> requires and works well on the side where there is only one VLAN on
>> the Host interface.
>>
>> It just goes wrong on multiple vlans.
>>
>> This is what I see everywhere.
>>
>> Mode 1 (active-backup)
>> This mode places one of the interfaces into a backup state and will
>> only make it active if the link is lost by the active interface. Only
>> one slave in the bond is active at an instance of time. A different
>> slave becomes active only when the active slave fails. This mode
>> provides fault tolerance.
>>
>> It's sure I need to get my traffic back on my sending port, so that is
>> why the arp for the passive port was there I thought.
>>
>> Are there other modes that should be working on VRRP in your understanding ?
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>>
>> Matt

>>> In mode=1 the active interface sends traffic, but both interfaces accept
>>> incoming traffic. Hardware switches send broadcast/multicast/unknown
>>> destination MACs to all ports, including the passive interface. So packet
>>> sent from the active interface can be received back from the passive
>>> interface. FreeBSD CARP just would go mad when it receives its own packets.
>>>
>>> I believe if you get Linux implementation, it will work well in the same
>>> network setup. I use keepalived in oVirt VMs with bonded network, and have
>>> no issues.

Met vriendelijke groet, With kind regards,

Jorick Astrego

Netbulae Virtualization Experts

        Tel: 053 20 30 270      i...@netbulae.eu        Staalsteden 4-3A
KvK 08198180