On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 2:11 PM, Nir Soffer <nsof...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 3:06 PM, Fedele Stabile
> <fedele.stab...@fis.unical.it> wrote:
>> my ultimate goal would be to have a cluster with last version of Centos
>> and oVirt,
>> so my question is
>> what are the best steps:
>> first upgrade Centos of first upgrade oVirt?
>
> You cannot upgrade ovirt on centos 6, since 3.5 is the last version
> supporting it.
>
> Best would be to upgrade the hypervisors to centos 7, which will
> pull latest ovirt anyway.
>
>> The ovirt-engine is hosted
>
> Upgrading the hosted engine vm is not related and more delicate,
> It should be possible using hosted engine setup.
>
> Adding Simone to add more info on that.

On 4.0 we have a new --upgrade-appliance feature on hosted-engine-setup:

https://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/hosted-engine-migration-to-4-0/

The tool will ask you to take a backup pf your engine DB with
engine-backup, then the tool will re-deploy a 4.0/el7 appliance
automatically injecting there the backup of your 3.6 engine.
The supported path is 3.6 -> 4.0 so you have also to do 3.5 -> 3.6 before that.