Hello Alan,

Please check
https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/how-to/hosted-engine/#migrate-hosts-from-el6-to-el7
to understand how to perform your upgrade from EL6 & RHEV3.5, quoting:

"In 3.6, el6 is not supported anymore for hosted-engine hosts. Existing 3.5
el6 hosts should be first migrated to el7, then upgraded to 3.6. More
details in Hosted Engine host operating system upgrade Howto
<https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/how-to/hosted-engine/hosted-engine-host-OS-upgrade>
."

It is up to the Engine (RHEVM) to be aware of the networks on your hosts
(and to configure them through running VDSM daemons), so if you want the
tagged networks the way you configured them manually on your hosts, you
need to define the cluster networks in web GUI correspondingly.

I don't think it is possible to leave network setup to manual configuration
by standard means (that is, by having VDSM running to take care of all but
networking chores, but have it patched or use hooks to implement your
configuration).

I, too, don't exactly understand your existing setup. Can you describe it
in more detail? Since you want to learn how to perform an upgrade, you
should try to mimic your production system, which is necessarily managed by
VDSM daemons running on all hosts.

If you are having a trouble reproducing your production environment in your
lab, please describe the steps you took. Perhaps it is reasonable to
install the Engine first with no complicated network setup, and only then
configure networks step by step.

Thank you,
Ondra