On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Derek Atkins <de...@ihtfp.com> wrote:

> Dan,
>
> On Thu, May 4, 2017 12:07 pm, Dan Yasny wrote:
> > On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Derek Atkins <de...@ihtfp.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Okay, I'll bite.  Which button is that?
> >>
> >> I'm in the Virtual Machines tab on the admin portal; I select the hung
> >> VM
> >> from my list and I see the following items at the top of the page:
> >> "New VM", "Import", "Edit", "Remove", "Clone VM", "Run Once", "<Run>",
> >> "<Suspend>", "<Shutdown>", "<Reboot>", "<Console>", "Migrate", "Cancel
> >> Migration", "Cancel Conversion", and then the right arrow to "Make
> >> Template", "Export", "Create Snapshot", "Change CD", "Assign Tags", and
> >> "Guide Me".
> >>
> >> Please, kind sir, which one is the "power off" instead of "shutdown"?
> >>

> > While I do not appreciate your tone of conversation, I'll oblige,
> assuming
> > you haven't had your morning coffee yet. Right click the VM, the option
> is
> > right there. See the screenshot attached
>
> Aha, so there is a hidden context menu with additional options..  THAT was
> the key.  Thank you.  I was unaware of a right-click context menu for VMs
> (or indeed anywhere in the webui).  Is this documented somewhere?

I haven't seen it documented, oVirt/RHEV always had a full blown GUI, which
allowed for rightclicks, I normally try a rightclick in every UI that is
new to me. I suppose the fact that it's a web UI might have caused you to
believe a rightclick is irrelevant, and if that's the case, for product
maturity's sake, I'd suggest you post a bug in bugzilla to explicitly
document the possibility of rightclicking.

> As for my tone, don't you think I had looked for a "power off" button?
> Your first reply was, while 100% correct, completely useless is helping.
> Of course I wanted power off; I couldn't find it.  THIS message, thank
> you, provided what I needed.

Maybe I'm old fashioned (or just plain out old), but I usually hold myself
back, no matter how annoyed I am, from taking such tones with people whom I
do not know and who are, moreover, trying to help me. But that's just me,
I'm not your father to teach you how to behave.

> > Just so you are aware, power off pulls the plug out of the VM, it kills
> it
> > outright, so the effect will be just as if you've lost power to it. It is
> > generally healthier to solve the shutdown problem.
>
> I am very aware, thank you.  I've been running VMs since, oh, 1993.  My
> last system was a vmware-based solution which I had in production for
> about a decade.  (It had a "power off" button in plain sight, by the way).

There is limited space "in plain sight", this is why there is the right
click menu available with all the options. Which buttons should be present
outside that menu is arguable, if you think "power off" should be there,
please open a BZ and provide your reasons.